Featuring Students with a Passion for Vocal and Choral Music
Summer Music Fest
June 10-16th, 2018 in Streator, Illinois
Applications now available below; Due by March 1, 2018
Poco a Poco offers two levels of training and experience for young musicians throughout our week-long festival: A young artist program for incoming high school freshmen through graduated seniors (at the time of the Summer Music Fest), and Junior Faculty positions for college-aged musicians or recent college graduates.
For our inaugural festival in 2017, we enrolled seventeen young artists representing eleven schools in the states of Illinois and Kentucky. Their training centered around voice lessons, vocal coachings, and choral rehearsals, with opportunities for private piano lessons, group guitar, conducting, and composition sessions, in addition to various masterclasses, and special performances. Our student-to-faculty ratio was 1.4 students per 1 faculty member. All young artists sing in our Festival Choir. It is not necessary, however, for voice to be your student's primary instrument in order to be involved.
Poco a Poco additionally engaged four Junior Faculty members in 2017, from across Illinois and Indiana. They supported our young artists in the Festival Choir as SATB section leaders, led sectional choral rehearsals, and gained performance and instructional experience, while also receiving continued training from our Senior Faculty members and Guest Lecturers.
We are not an overnight festival: our training encompasses early afternoons through evenings. There are three concerts free and open to the public throughout the week. Next year's festival will take place June 10th-16th, 2018. Applications for our young artist training program will be available online, starting January 10th, 2018, with live auditions held in Streator, Illinois on March 17th and 24th.
Performances are free and open to the public!
Faculty Showcase Recital
7 PM on Tuesday, June 12, 2018
Student Showcase Recital
7 PM on Thursday, June 14, 2018
3 PM on Saturday, June 16, 2018
For Students Interested in Applying
- Applications for the 2018 festival (June 10-16, 2018) are now available
- Live auditions will take place 3/17/18 and 3/24/18 at Park Presbyterian Church in Streator, IL
- Tuition for 2018 is $295: merit-based scholarships to cover 2/3 tuition are available
*Applications are due by midnight CST on March 1, 2018*
Music Fest Includes:
- Over 25 hours of instruction in vocal and choral techniques
- Exposure to highly-skilled performers and educators, representing five different states
- Performance opportunities, including two free-and-open-to-the-public concerts
- Additional opportunities to attend master classes, lectures, and round table discussions
- Exploring new musical ideas and applications in a positive learning environment
- Personalized attention for participants with a 3:1 student-to-faculty ratio
- Camp t-shirt and photo, along with memories to last a lifetime
Incoming high school freshmen through graduated seniors